Saturday, March 10, 2007

Patrick Loftus

This is a picture taken of my grandfather Patrick Loftus

and here is my sons story
while in the navy someone in our family he had never met someone at that time who had a rank of officer i believe came to where my son was stationed at the time and was talking to someone else while my son was in the room. my mind is saying a meeting of somekind not sure. but during the conversation the person talked about a long lost relative named " Patrick Loftus" who according to them had left Ireland come to the USA and gone to they thought Alaska and neverr been heard of again.
during that talk my sons ears were standing on end couldnt believe what he was hearing and couldnt remark on what was said because of rank issues. so he sat there screaming inside " I AM PATRICK LOFTUS'S GREAT GRANDSON!!!"
once the meeting or converstation was over the person left and all contact was lost. Ira had no choice but to let it go.
so so close and yet so far.
soooooooo in memory of my Grandpa Patrick Loftus from what we think was county mayo ireland who came over during the potatoe famine . i say
Happy St Patricks day. maybe with our luck someone will google him and end up here :) one can only hope :)

2 comments:

Sandy B said...

OHH MY GOSH! What a story! Do you know of any Silas Van Orden? (ha ha! just had to ask! lol)My dad and a cousin of his has been hunting for him for years. He was my dad's grandfather, and the only record we have of him was in NewJersey, mid 1800's. He was married to a Nancy Wilson (fr Ireland?) who was actually born on a ship in New York harbor. We've found her grave and records of her remarrying, but not of what happened to Silas. We wonder if something happened and he just went west and disappeared into history. It's not a real common surname, and we've found a few in Texas, Idaho in simiar time frames. But no Silas. My dad wonders if he'll ever find out what happened to him.
It must have been very frustrating for your son! Maybe if he remembers the person's name, he could send him a letter?

Anonymous said...

I too am looking for a Patrick Loftus... born Castle Bar County Mayo Ireland 1843. is this the samne one? Was your Patrick in the British Army stationed in Malta?