Monday, January 08, 2007

boy the things you remember later :) the fire across the street that almost took us out.

my son was leaving gitmo after a few months serving there. he called me to say i will be back at base on such and such day.
i was of course happy to hear that. But what i remember is that sunday morning that week end he called us the church across the street went up in flames. you can park a small truck length wise between the side of the chruch and our front door that is how close it was.
it happened early in the am some kid now doing some 40 years in jail started the fire. took out the church and one home. no one was hurt thank god. and my home was spared thank god. in fact all i could think of was my son had gone through all of his time in the navy the bombing of the cole, 9-11, serving overr seas in japan and other countries in that area, Iraq, and then lastly gitmo bay and if all went bad that one sunday am i would have had to call him and tell him we had no home for him to come home too. as it is i didnt have too. but it was scarey. i found for the second time since he had entered the navy i was running for my life from a local fire. the last one taking out half a block not three blocks away from us in the down town area.
i remember going to the frontroom after hearing fire trucks thinking hum wonder what is going on. only to find hubby standing there looking out the frontroom window. he said the chruch is on fire. by the time i went back to my room grabbed my cell phone and came back calling my daughter and letting her know one corner of the church was obviously in flames. i went back grabbed what i could and got dressed. and by that time in a matter of mins the roof was totally in flames smoke pouring out everywhere.
it was an old chruch so it went fast. and because the church wasnt into putting in alot of new things it burned clean too. thank god for that one. the one down down had so much material in it that it burned toxic fumes.
anyway my daugher came to pick me up had to park a few blocks away and i went to her house for the day. hubby followed later on with the dogs we couldnt find our cat at all dont have a clue where she hide on us and he had to leave the birds as it was we did loose our love bird to smoke inhilation a week later.
i remember one talk my son and i did have after he began to talk to us all again. he mentioned us almost loosing him in a bombing in Iraq. and i thought you know you came so close to loosing us too in two fires here.
anyway al turned out ok . i love email and now that he dont have email anymore . i do love cell phones we are busy all the time text messaging each other.
hugs and love and happy new year from this vet mom to all of you :)

1 comment:

Sandy B said...

I'm glad you found me!! I just added you to the blogs I read! Too much in common not to! A house next to us burnt a few months ago. We live on a corner, so we had the street seperating us to protect us. Soo sad. Her fire started early in the morning. Our dog barking at the firefighters woke us up. I heard voices and thought it was just people walking up the street, then hubby woke up and saw the lights. That woke me up! I spent the rest of the cold morning standing in the street with her, gave her a quilt and some socks to stay warm with. Her house was just torn down, so I guess they'll totaly rebuild. Very scary.
My son leaves a week from today...I told him to write once a week when he can. People try to think he'll be safer in the Navy, but I tell them, "say that to the parents of the sailors who were on the Cole!" My boy will be loading ordinance onto planes. Does that sound totally safe either?
The boy has military in his blood, he couldn't help it. He had to join something!
I'll be reading more of ya! Keep your eye out!