Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I Will Remember You !

Sometimes you run into a song that just plays over and over in your head. I have no clue how come the class of 2000 picked out the song "I will remember you " but the words just hit me full force during my sons graduation and haunted me during his time in basics and in training .
"I will remember you
will you remember me
don't let life pass you by
weep not for the memories"

I hung on those words for along time after i put him on that plane. part of the problem was he was clear across the states on the other coast. And while alot of moms and dads got to go see the graduation of their sons or daughters from any military basic training. Logistics and money kept me from all of it. there was no way to even think I would be there to see any of it.
And that hurt me deeply.
So i did the next best thingI could do . I went out and bought stamps by the yard and paper and pens and envelopes and i sat each day and i wrote to him every am and i would sit and end my day that way too. i think i sent him about 3 to 4 letters every day.
that may seem like alot but I didn't care i know what a letter from home can do for someone in the miltary.
you see at my mothers funeral one of my brothers got up and talked about the letters he got from her faithfully while he was in vietnam. He said once a week she wrote to him and once a week all of his time there he got those letters. he said once he was out of the army he thought they would stop and not be once a week. But not our mom for the rest of her life she wrote to her son , my brother once a week with out fail. He went on to say even today he has kept in shoe boxes under his bed all of the letters she wrote to him.
you see what my brother said made a huge inpression on me so i wrote faithfully about anything , weather , cleaning house, shopping, news , who is doing what where when and you name it i kept those letters on the upbeat and kept them going.
then i decided to add post cards to those . But i got a phone call from my son saying " Ma when you send post cards dont put anything personal on them because they read those outloud to all of us so anyone not recieveing mail will not feel left out." well wahooooooooooo !!!!!!!! ideas abound. not a problem at all for me. i went out and gathered every post card i could find and sent those out amass and took them on a tour of alaska giving them triva on the back and jokes to go with and talked about things going on that were like ok number of tour ships in today, and things like that. It was about a year later i got told by my son that i was the mom that sent out the most letters of anyone duing his basics.
yes i will always remember you for sure.
my son was always on my mind during his time in the navy. in fact he is still in the navy one more year and i think of him all the time. not a day goes by that i dont.

No comments: